Sunday, August 31, 2008

What would you take with you?

Last Monday, my phone was ringing off the hook. Friends and family were calling to make sure we were all right.

This is why...
Photobucket
That was the scene outside our backdoor. A wildfire not far from our home. It burned 600+ acres before it was finally contained. Dozens of families who lived much closer to the fire had to evacuate. I should have taken a picture upstairs in our bedroom because it would have shown it better.

This is the scene a day later next to the new temple under construction. You can see the dark red fire line created by firefighters.
Photobucket
Anyway... the winds were working to our advantage and it blew in the opposite direction. However, a storm was headed our way and I was very worried that the winds might change that.

It really got me thinking: If I were told to evacuate, what would I take? It felt good to realize that if I had my kids, an outfit or two for each of us, my photo albums, our laptop with the saved pictures on it, and my journals (I've written about every day for the past 10+ years)... then I would be good. Everything else could be replaced. If I had my memories and my family... that's truly all that mattered and it feels good.

No comments: